78mm Competition Wheel Stud, M12-1.5
For 1982 - 2009 BMW (E30 E32 E34 E24 E28 E36 E39 E46 E90 E60 MINI)
78mm: Can be used with 20mm spacers because of the longer thread area and shorter bullet nose compared to a 75mm stud.
Why use wheel studs instead of wheel bolts? Several reasons:
- Wheel studs are required by many racing bodies - because they are a better, safer way to ensure proper wheel engagement.
- Wheel studs are safer than wheel bolts because you can SEE when the stud is engaging the lug nut completely - a longer wheel stud sticks through the lug nut. A wheel bolt? Its a mystery... only way to know if is engaging the wheel hub completely is to remove it and count the threads when installing
- Wheel studs allow the use of a variety of hub-centric wheel spacers, or no spacers at all. Longer wheel bolts have to be tailor made to each wheel spacer width.
- Wheel studs stay engaged into the hub fur their entire life cycle. The repetitive installation and removal of wheel bolts can cause accelerated wear on the threaded holes on the (expensive to replace) wheel hubs.
- Installing wheels using wheel studs is considerably easier than when using wheel bolts, as the studs will locate the wheel while the nuts are being tightened.
- Our Competition wheel studs have an unthreaded bull nose that acts as a "speed start", allowing quicker lug nut installation and quicker pit stops.
The Competition Studs are black zinc phosphate plated for corrosion protection and long service life.
Specifics on the Wheel Stud:
- Bullet Nose Studs are Certified by ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 9001 by TÜV
- Max Torque: 180Nm (132 lb-ft) - recommended torque on BMW apps using anti-seize is 80 lb-ft
- Coating: black zinc phosphate plating to 12 micron thickness, min.
- Allen Key insert for easy install
- Ends have special "quick start" rounded nose with 10mm unthreaded section. Allows the quick starting of lug nuts onto studs.
- Install using Red Threadlocker (Loctite 262 or equivalent) to secure the studs to the wheel hub.
- Studs are made with M12x1.5 threads. M12x1.5 Lug Nuts are also available in OEM black
- Install studs into hubs with Loctite and torque until they bottom out onto the shoulder. Do not torque into hubs beyond 30 lb-ft. Torque lugs onto the studs with 80 lb-ft, using a light coating of anti-seize lubricant on the stud's threads.